Thursday, September 20, 2012

Just under my computer screen sits a quote in French:

"In the beginning, when they believed that the illness was like all the others, religion felt in its place. But when they saw that the illness was serious, they were joyful...death is nothing to men like me. It's an event that gives reason to their lives."

Albert Camus wrote those words many years ago in his existentialist work, The Plague. For me the book spoke to my basic concern for the search for the "meaning of life". Do our lives make a difference, or would we never be missed if death came and took us from this world? I know, that's a deep question to ask; perhaps too deep for many to answer about themselves. But, I keep the quote on my desk to remind me to enjoy every moment of every day.

Is it misguided to ask yourself if your life has meaning? Is it wrong to ponder whether the direction you have personally chosen for your life is leading you in a positive direction? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment