Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Knowing God

It may come as no surprise to many: I like to read. Mostly I read books that challenge me to think in different ways. I don't always agree with what I read, but the process of reading offers to me an outlet to meditate on new ideas. Recently, I have been reading about the relationship between science and spirituality. Not science and religion - that would lead in a wholly different direction - but science and spirituality.

For the writer of the book I am reading, "spirituality" is more like the ability to recognize and accept the sacredness that one encounters in life. This kind of sacredness can be experienced in the rational mind of a scientist who stands in awe of galaxies and universes. That sacredness could happen at work, or at home; in the car or while walking; one could encounter "spirituality" anywhere. The author mentions the work of Rudolf Otto, The idea of the Holy - an early 20th Century work about the encounter of things that one could call "holy".

According to Otto, holiness happens when one listens to a work by Mozart or Beethoven; perhaps when one attends an opera; it could happen, of course, when one goes to worship; it could occur most anywhere one feels outside the normal life. A holy moment is that moment when one forgets the cares of the world and realizes that everything finally fits together. It's a "numinous" moment, says Otto - a moment that is beyond description, even if you could find the words to say.

I had read Rudolf Otto's book many years ago. In typical German style, it is very dense and difficult to read without saying, "What did I just read?" It's one of those books you read the same page about three times before having just an inkling of an idea what the author is saying...I think you get the point. I almost put it down several times, but something kept drawing me back to it. Finally, at the end, I realized one thing: anything that I consider holy must be experienced.

Experience: that's what knowing God is all about. I could read 10 or 10,000 books on God, but until I finally experience God's presence with me, I cannot "know" God. Understanding God is not what I am talking about here. I don't think I will ever understand God, but I can "know" - in a feeling, perceiving way about God with me.

What experiences have you had in which you felt like you "knew" God? Even if that experience lasted only seconds, when have you felt that you were standing on holy ground?

No comments:

Post a Comment