Sunday, April 22, 2012

Today, at the Synod's Pre-Assembly meeting, the participants were introduced (re-introduced for some of us who have already been through this kind of meeting) to the new way of doing business at the Synod Assembly. For all of us, this is a significant paradigm shift from business as usual - which means a "top-down" approach - to what I like to call a more "Spirit-led" approach. In this new approach, instead of having workshops, we will enter into "affinity groups". These are groups of like-minded individuals who may not know exactly how God wants to lead, but are willing to be part of a process that allows for more push and pull from all involved. This new approach allows much latitude, and that increaases the stress level for some - especially people who need to have everything in order before entering into conversation. Some people have commented that they need in the groups: facilitators, catalysts, topics, direction, goals. It seems to me the goal of these affinity groups is to open us up to new, perhaps unchartered ways of being God's people.

My questions: Why is there so much need for answers in every facet of life? Does one really need to know everything? Does one really want to know "everything"? How does the Holy Spirit's role enter into the discussion? Are we fearful of allowing God's Spirit to take hold of our lives? Imagine what would happen if we didn't hinder God's Spirit...

Peace,
Tim

2 comments:

  1. I know I like to feel that I am in control - perhaps that is why we desire answers - knowledge overcomes fear and helps us remain "in control." It is when my life is in limbo or lacks direction that I have no choice but to rely on the Holy Spirit. I believe we are fearful because we may find out that where the Spirit is leading us may not be the same direction we were hoping. It takes a lot of trust to know that God has a plan and to put all situations into his hands. Am I being an "eternal optimist" when I say that everything will work out in the end, even if it is not the end I envision? Is it hanging on to that hope that keeps me from incessantly worrying about my life? I try to remember God's faithfulness, that He is always with me, but still, I like to have control. That is where my struggle lies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too like to feel in control - I am a planner by nature so knowing how to and when to let go is a constant struggle. And yes, it usually takes a pretty hard knock on the head (so to speak) for me to be reminded that I am trying too hard to maintain the control. At those times when I got knocked off my feet - I will say there was a sense of peace within the struggle, knowing that God was with me. I too feel that everything will work out the way it is supposed too, and I know that God's plan is at work, but I still want to "plan" how it is going to come about!~

    ReplyDelete