Thursday, May 24, 2012

I have heard all my life, "...love your neighbor as yourself..." What does that mean? Does it imply some unwritten understanding that you have to love self before loving others? Are we to infer that love of self takes a back seat, or even no seat at all, so that the "other" (whoever the other may be) feels loved?

I struggle further with this "love of neighbor" idea that some intinerant rabbi 2000 years ago taught. What if loving the "other" means never questioning how that "other" perceives or accepts the love? Are followers of Jesus called to love and not count the cost, or do we "shake the dust off our feet" when no one accepts it? Frankly, I feel that I want to clean my feet too quickly with some people and that I don't mind walking around with dirty feet around others. This love of other stuff is really complicated.

In telling us to love the other (whether God or neighbor), is Jesus calling his followers to something that we don't yet understand? What is going on? What does God's love of you and me tell us about my action toward another?  Sounds like we have enough for a good discussion here...

peace,
Tim

1 comment:

  1. I think that as human beings, our definition of love is that "warm, fuzzy feeling." There are times when I don't feel that toward my own spouse, kids and friends so how am I to love my neighbor? I don't know that Jesus had that warm, fuzzy feeling toward everyone he met either, but he did meet them where they were, had compassion for them, did not judge them and respected them as human beings, warts & all. Maybe that is our example of love - I don't know. With God's help and by Jesus' example, can we look for God in the eyes of someone different than us, or in someone who is struggling with mental illness? Can someone look us in the eye and see God in us? Have you ever thought you could be unlovable to someone? Being a child of God and knowing that I am loved by him, can help me to realize that we are ALL children of God and loved by him - even those we may find unlovable. Our actions do speak so much louder than our words and when we can empty ourselves of "me" and fill up with the love of Christ - amazing things can happen - but it is so very hard.

    ReplyDelete