Sunday, May 6, 2012

Today was a great worship service. Everyone seemed freed by God's Spirit to permit ourselves to laugh, cry, sing, pray and be God's people! The anointing and prayer at communion was especially powerful. What especially touched you? Was it the permission to talk with one another during the sermon? Was it the felt permission to clap our hands during the hymn of the day? Was it the levity after the children's sermon? Was it something deeper?

Worship is just one of the places we are given permission to touch Christ. Every day there are many opportunities that pass by us and we never notice. Why do we not notice God's presence? Why do we put so much emphasis on our own abilities and actions when we know that God may be moving us to places of action?

Peace,
Tim

1 comment:

  1. Loved the worship service yesterday! My only regret was that I was unable to be anointed because of playing bells. I hope it is something that will be offered regularly. It was freeing to share how God has touched our lives and continues to do so. I truly needed God's presence yesterday. When we stood up and applauded for Cyndi it was great. She was a great sport and I hope she knows how much she is loved and appreciated for the service that she gives. We could not have done that 5-10 years ago. Perhaps it is because there are fewer people in worship and we truly are a community committed to loving one another as Christ loves us. The questions you are asking are worth pondering. When we take the time to look for God in other people, in our relationships and in the beauty surrounding is, our abilities and actions seem pretty insignificant. Why do we not notice God's presence? I think it is because we don't or won't take the time to look for it. We are caught up in worrying, wanting more, and trying to cram even more activities into our already busy schedules. How difficult is it for us to sit even 5 minutes in complete silence. How can we sense God's presence when we are overstimulated and consumed by everything going on around us? I am guilty of this. As a challenge to myself,I am going to try to spend at least five minutes a day in silence whether it be the bathroom, my back yard or deck, or my favorite chair. I will turn off the TV, radio & computer and concentrate on being in the presence of God listening for His guidance. I hope I know when he speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete