Friday, March 22, 2013

Family Changes Everything

Senator Rob Portman of Ohio changed his views on gay marriage recently when his son "came out" to him. No matter one's religious or moral beliefs, one has to respect Portman for not turning his back on his son. If he accepts and loves his son, wouldn't it be duplicitous of him not to change his political position?

In Augustinian terms, duplicity is the inconsistency between what one says and that which one does.  For instance, if I say that I believe that cats are good luck and then mistreat everyone I find, my actions do not match with my beliefs; if I say that walking under a ladder is bad luck and then seek out ladders under which to walk, I am either crazy or duplicitous. Of course, for St Augustine, there is a deeper concern: when one's actions don't match one's speech, there is a hidden, twisted desire that is lurking about. Duplicity belies one's tendency toward sinfulness.

Sometimes we are duplicitous in order to save our own skin: "If I tell others what I really believe, if anyone knows what I truly desire, they won't like me." Or, in the case of Rob Portman - "they won't vote for me." Sometimes we are duplicitous because we willfully want to deceive someone: "I don't want so-and-so to pal around with my friend, so I will speak ill of my friend in the presence of the unwanted other." Sometimes we are even duplicitous in order to be "nice": "Oh, that dress looks great on you." In reality, the dress is the wrong color and definitely needs to be another size.

I respect Senator Portman for standing by his son and for standing firm on his position. He will, no doubt, suffer much criticism from his new-found position. It is unfortunate and in the utmost of bad taste, not to say, unchristian-like behavior, when someone attacks his son - as has been done in the news lately. Let us pray for the Portmans that their love for one another as a family will continue to grow. Let us not be caught up in the ad hominem attacks that do nothing but lead to more hatred and violence.

God's peace,
Pr Tim

4 comments:

  1. Yes- family does change everything. Being a parent changes everything. I think I stay "on the fence" when it comes to debatable issues a lot of the time. I feel I need to see both sides, does that make me indecisive? Plus, who wants to eat their words later because they spoke too soon? and I sure don't want to be that "d" word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good observations, Laurie. Do you think it's ok to sit on the fence sometimes? I agree with not liking to eat words later! Done enough of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I,too, can appreciate the fact he stands by his son. He may have felt this was acceptable all along but heaven forbid he let his political party know. They may have gotten "mad"at him and may not have supported him. There is a name for people that live a lie. Just stick up for beliefs and be true to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, Cyndi. I wonder, though, how often do I do the same kind of thing? You know, I can so easily see how others are messing up and yet, I am doing the same thing. Thanks for the insights.
    Peace,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete